Saturday, January 30, 2010

Jan 30

Thanks to all of you who attended Mark's wake and funeral. He had many wonderful friends, colleagues and students here in town. Many of you made the trip from Oklahoma and many of you were kept from attending because of the terrible ice storm and for that I am sorry. We have truly been blessed with so many wonderful people.

Many of you asked about the quote Andy used from me in his eulogy. It is something I posted on facebook the day Mark passed. Here it is again. Mark was a wonderful man who taught me to love deeper than I thought I was capable, laugh more than I thought possible and live in each and every moment. He was a great husband, father, teacher and coach. I don't pretend to know the reasons God chose to take Mark at an early age, but I know heaven got a little brighter today.

This has certainly been a tough week. There have been a lot of ups and downs. We've told many funny stories about Mark and laughed as we remembered him in some of his great moments. Believe me, there are many. It's also been sad and tearful where you feel your heart being ripped from your chest. What a roller coaster this will be I'm sure. Matt and I played "Take It To The Limit" by the Eagles which is one of Mark's all time favorite songs. He used to crank it up LOUD and sing at the top of his lungs while we were driving in the car. I think he used to sing it before he played baseball in High School before we even met. It brought tears just remembering him singing that song. We visited the grave today and all that kept going through my head was that song and how he lived life that way.

The kids are holding up. They have spent the night with friends and I am so glad that so many of their friends have been so supportive. It is nice to be in such a great community such as Auburn.

For now, it's just taking it minute by minute and getting through the day. Hopefully it will start getting easier. I feel like my entire universe has shattered and it just doesn't fit back together quite the same way. There is such a huge hole in it now.

Thanks again for all the love and support. We've been truly blessed. Please continue to pray for all those battling cancer. God bless!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I just wanted to say that I am truly sorry for your loss. I was in Mark's class in the Fall of '08. He was my favorite teacher and definitely had the biggest impact of any professor I have had at Auburn. I wish I had seen when his funeral was in time and I would have attended. He was definitely an awesome man and will be miss.

Brandon

A Time To Remeber said...

am so sorry for you loss.. hang close to loved ones and friends at this time.. hugs.. to you and yours..

Unknown said...

Just as a reminder, you, Calen,Colton and Emily are still in our prayers.(and the extended family). Praying for strength for each day and for the Lord to continue giving you peace and comfort that only He can do. Psalms 119:105 "They word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Years ago someone shared with me that God shows us today what we need for "today", while His light shines a step in front of us for tomorrow, and shows us His lighted path along the way of life, a little bit at a time. (day by day). Please remember that if you need anything, please do not hesitate to contact us. It was nice to finally get to meet you, your precious.

Because of Him,
the Nichols Family,
Ben, Sydney & Hope

Sandy Daron said...

Thinking of you today.

Softly I announce my presence. Shimmering hues of radiance tap gently at your consciousness, seeking entrance. Though I have all Power in heaven and on earth, I am infinitely tender with you. The weaker you are, the more gently I approach you. Let your weakness be a door to My Presence. Whenever you feel inadequate, remember that I am your ever-present Help.

Hope in Me, and you will be protected from depression and self-pity. Hope is like a golden cord connecting you to heaven. The more you cling to this cord, the more I bear the weight of your burdens; thus, you are lightened. Heaviness is not of my kingdom. Cling to hope and my rays of Light will reach you through the darkness.

Psalm 46:1; Romans 12:12; Romans 15:13

Love ya!!
C.O.L.E.'s Foundation
(Caring Openly, Loving Eternally)
www.colesfoundation.com
Email: sandy@colesfoundation.com
24/7 Prayer Line 888-365-COLE (2653)
Sandy Daron

FinNayar said...

My condolences on your loss. Mark was a great guy. I had him as a student of mine first as an undergrad and then in grad school when I was in OU. Mark was always a blast to be with. He was energetic and always had a mischevious smile. I met him at various finance meetings and his demise will be a loss to all of us who knew him. Chitra and I pray that time will give you some comfort and lessen the pain.

Nandu Nayar
Lehigh University