Friday, January 22, 2010

Jan 22

Hello everyone. We continue to hang on and take things as they come. It's hard to remember what has changed since the last post. Mark continues to get weaker overall. He has trouble just holding his hand up and needs help rolling side to side in the bed. He is still confused a lot, but sometimes makes a little sense and has cracked a few jokes to make us laugh. He has a knack for that even in his darkest hours. He truly is amazing.

He kept me up most of the night last night talking to me, fidgeting and asking for water. He wanted the TV back on at 3:30, so we found a NUMB3Rs marathon to watch. That is one of Mark's favorite shows. He loves the way they use math theories and equations to solve things. I have no idea what time it was when I finally went to sleep, but Mark's hospice nurse showed up this morning and I was exhausted and couldn't even get out of bed for her. I think she understood. Mark starts telling her that he's been having trouble breathing (out of the blue) and sounds pretty lucid at first, then starts telling me "honey, I'm off center" and I think he's talking about the position he's laying in so I tell him I'll move him in a minute. He then starts talking about the comet not lining up right, so I know he's confused again. Julia asked why he wasn't wearing the oxygen since he was having trouble breathing and he said "I don't know". We put the oxygen on him today and he's been using it and doing fine with it.

The hiccups continue. Mark's diaphragm will spasm and he will gasp loudly and not be able to breath for a bit every now and then and it is a little scary to see. He did that yesterday once when we were all sitting here and we all reacted towards him and were asking if he was okay. Mark did it again a second time right after that on purpose and then said "ha ha". Like I said, he is still joking around some.

Mark's sister, Eugenie, made it in tonight from the airport. He has had a chance to visit with her now as well. He was asking about her the other day, so now she is here.

Debbie Brooks came by today and got to see Mark for a brief visit. I wasn't sure if Mark would remember her, but when he saw her he did recognize her and got to talk with her briefly. Andy came by for a visit tonight as well. We truly are blessed with some of the best friends ever.

Thanks for all the prayers and support. Pray for all those battling cancer. God bless!!!

No comments: