Friday, January 15, 2010

Jan 15

Hello to everyone. Things here are still rocking along. Not much has changed. Mark still has periods of being pretty with it and able to have some normal dialog (although limited for sure) and then periods where he is very confused. Sometimes he just doesn't respond to us at all, but his eyes are open, so we're not sure whether he's sleeping with his eyes open or what. It's hard to know. This morning I had the Today Show on in the bedroom and I was laying next to Mark watching it. They had some of the Haiti coverage on. Mark was lying face up staring at the ceiling and I didn't think he was alert. They interviewed an American who was trapped and had severe damage to her legs and ended up having her leg amputated and she was so positive and just happy to be alive and hoping that the others in Haiti were being helped. Mark said "How sad. That is a really sad story". I looked at him and asked "Are you listening to this?" and he said "yes". I asked if he wanted me to prop him up so he could watch, but he said "No, I just want to listen". I was amazed at how alert he was, but then later he was very confused about his IV pump and saying weird things.

Colton seemed a little better today. He got to come in and see his dad. He was upset knowing that his dad probably won't be here for his 10th birthday this year which is March 1st. Calen came in to visit Mark this evening as well. Mark gave him a baseball bat. Mark promised him a bat if he made the 8th grade baseball team. Of course, we don't know if he's made the team at this point, but we wanted to be sure Mark could present him the bat, so we went on the assumption that he would make the team. Brent was actually key in getting the bat here. He got all the specifications and found the one Calen wanted since Mark isn't able to. Thanks for doing that. The bat is very special to Calen. He was all choked up.

Pete, so sorry to hear about your son. Mark talked about you and your son to me and told me what good people you were. I know we've never met, but I feel in a way I know you. Like you, I am learning that we lose ones we love way too early sometimes and we have to know that there is someone much greater than us in charge and trust that there is a greater good being done. I pray that you feel the peace of God each day. I just found out today that someone that I knew from High School just died of metastatic breast cancer. She left behind a husband, a grown son and a 13 year old daughter. My heart breaks for them.

Thanks Debbie for stopping by and for thinking of the kids and their needs during this time. I can't thank you enough for that.

Congratulations Keven and Elizabeth on baby Ethan. What exciting news. Can't wait to see him.

As always, continue to pray for Mark and all those battling cancer. Please remember the people of Haiti tonight as well. They are such a poverty stricken nation already and this is so devastating for them. Please pray that their needs are met. God bless!!!!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw that little bit on the today show. It was great! It's good mark is not in too much pain and is able to talk to you guys. Very cool.

John and Kathy Mitchell said...

My heart goes out to all of you!!! You all are in my constant prayers!!!

Cary Way said...

Ronda, please tell Mark that all of us here at Express Oil Change are praying for
him and your family..we do miss that " True " Sooner fan coming by..

Unknown said...

Hi Bertus family,

Know that I am thinking about all of you every day. Thank you so much for the updates on the internet - I know that it may be tough putting things in words, but it is really great for those of us that cannnot physically be there with you.

Christoph

John Jahera said...

All of you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Life just sometimes brings things that are so hard to understand.

Adam Holt said...

Colton
My heart goes out to you and your family and know that I am thinking about constantly and Praying for you all.

Coach Adam

Sheila Phelps said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you all.

I wish we could get a uiversal prayer out where you all are with Mark in a circle and at that time everyone around th world would say the same prayer for Mark. It would all be for the same thing that we would ask for.

It would just be pick the day and time everyone would know to stop and say the prayer.

God bless you and your family and everyone else in need. You have touched so many lifes with your blog. I just wished it could be a happy blog for you and not so hard.

Beverly and Curt Marshall said...

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. It seems so hard to believe that Mark is not here starting the new semester with us. I think of you all every day and just want you to know that the prayers are continuing for you all.