Friday, January 1, 2010

Jan 1

Hello to all and Happy New Year. Mark is holding his own. He seems to have a pretty good handle on his pain which makes us feel better. He has been sleeping more and his awake times have been fewer and far between. Unfortunately he was due for his patch change yesterday which is the day he gets pretty sedated and missed the OU game. He woke briefly a few times and I gave him an update, but he didn't seem very interested in the game and just couldn't wake up to watch it. Mark's sister Eugenie is here again for a visit with her husband Mike and their 3 kids. We all stayed up, kids and all, to bring in the New Year. We had a little champagne and Mark was awake for it and even took a sip of the champagne. He was more awake last night and visited with everyone for a little bit. He seems to be more awake at night and is still sleeping with the light and tv on all night. (I am having a hard time adjusting to this as I am one of those people who needs total darkness and quiet to sleep. I use an eye mask to keep the light out, but the tv is impossible to ignore. I am starting to get a little used to it.)

Mark seems a little more awake today. He had about an hour this evening with me which was nice. He was also awake intermittently through the Auburn game. How do you summarize that game for him???? I just told him Auburn won several times in overtime. I missed Father Bill again today. I took Calen out for a haircut and Father Bill came over. Mark was sleeping, but Father Bill went in and said a prayer for Mark.

I got all the Christmas decorations down today, packed them up and put them up. Yeah!!! That is always a good feeling.

Thanks for all of you who continue to pray for Mark and support us through this cancer battle. I continue to pray for a miraculous cure. I guess it's a little like a prisoner on death row praying for a last minute stay of execution, but I still pray it happens. I just have to trust and have faith because I certainly don't understand this. It seems so senseless. Continue to pray that Mark experiences comfort and peace in these coming days. God bless!!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you had a chance to ring in the new year. You said it best about praying and trusting because everyone has been struggling with this senseless situation. We have to trust and know there is a reason for everything but it is still SO hard to understand/accept . Praying for peace and comfort for your family. No words seem adequate to express our care and concern.
The love and support of your family members is amazing. We have all seen what obstacles love can overcome. Many have been inspired and have learned from your family's example.
Praying for a miracle for Mark. Praying for pain relief and strength as well. God Bless you and keep you...Sherry

Unknown said...

The prayers of many many people continue for you all. The difficulty of this seems overwhelming. Have faith in the infinite goodness of God, as hard as that must seem. He will dry every tear, in ways we cannot possibly understand.
God Bless the Bertus Family!
rb

Mary Jo Kean said...

We continue to pray for Mark and for all of your family.

Bernie and Kathy said...

Ronda, I too have been praying for a miracle and a total healing for Mark. I know that this is medically impossible at this point, but all things are possible with God and if He chooses, He can do it. I also continue to pray for peace and comfort for you and the family. I will not cease praying for Mark, you, and your family - and I know there are many, many others doing the same. I hope and pray there is some comfort in that.

Sandy Daron said...

I am so glad that Mark is doing o.k. You have all been in my thoughts and prayers.

“So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace.” 2 Corinthians 4:16

Love ya!!
C.O.L.E.'s Foundation
(Caring Openly, Loving Eternally)
www.colesfoundation.com
Email: sandy@colesfoundation.com
24/7 Prayer Line 888-365-COLE (2653)

Sandy Daron

Unknown said...

It's so hard to read and comment, but I know how it feels being the one that has to post things. Mark was the first person I met in Bartlesville, so here's a funny story for you and Mark.

I had just moved to Bartlesville from Tulsa, and had never heard of Bartlesville...all I new was that it was a 'ville town, and didn't sound too big. My first day, I got on my bike and rode from sun up to down looking for kids playing baseball, soccer, on bikes, or pretty much anything. I went home so discouraged and told my folks I'd try again tomorrow.

The next day, the same darn thing...nothing! So I turned my bike around on Swan Dr about 5 houses north of Mark and Matt's and decided to quit. Then I hear this voice,"HEY KID!"

As you can guess, it was Mark. We went back to there house and played basketball a while, then in the backyard. We dressed up as WWF wrestlers, and video taped fake body slamming wrestling matches.

Later, we went in to Shawn's room, and found his playboy stash because he was gone for the day. Just about 10 minutes into it, there was a knock on the door. We heard, "Is there a Brent here? You mom is looking for you." Talk about dear in the headlights eyeballs! We were diving and shoving them under his bed...would have loved to been a fly on the wall.

Anyway, this might be a funny story of my 2nd day moving to Bartlesville that Mark might like to hear. I am so grateful that he Hey Kidded me...it was a fun summer!

Unknown said...

I have moved back to bville last June. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for Brent and Kathy while they are gone. Your whole family is in my prayers.