Thursday, November 5, 2009

Nov 5

Hello and good evening to all. It has been a rather uneventful day. Mark seems to be doing okay. That is to say, he is holding his own. He still has pain and his stomach cramps a lot when he tries to eat, so the eating becomes a problem. He is trying hard to constantly "graze" on food instead of eating big meals and hopefully that will help. We are trying to fill him with every calorie we can get in him. He tries so hard. His mom constantly gives him back rubs to help with the pain and I rub his belly. You can feel the tumors now. They are pretty solid and I can't image what they must feel like to him having them intertwined with the intestines.

Mark's father has been busy helping the boys with their baseball. He takes Calen to hit at the batting cages and works on pitching with Colton and the boys are enjoying having him here to help. He is also becoming quite the taxi as the kids have multiple activities to get to and from.

Yesterday was Andy's 50th birthday, so we had reason to celebrate in the Bertus household. Mark sent me on a mission to decorate Andy's office door the night before and then we had dinner and a cookie cake with a party hat (compliments of Emily). We sat and watched the World Series (I'm pretty sure I slept through the end of it). It was a good evening and we enjoyed getting to spend some time with Andy on his birthday. I will try to post those pictures on facebook soon.

This chemo will be given every 2 weeks, so Mark's next infusion will be Nov 16th. We hope and pray that things will improve. If they don't look favorable, Dr. Farmer agreed to try the FOLFOX regimen once more. She doesn't feel it will be effective, but for whatever reason, every fiber of my being feels that it will work this time. It worked for so long before and it was only when Mark developed that allergy did it start puttering out. He has been off of it for nearly a year now, so he is naive to it for that long and it just may work again. Maybe I'm just grabbing for a lifeline, but I really feel strongly that we should try it. I have felt this way since Mark's surgery was aborted. In fact, I wanted to go straight back to FOLFOX instead of having to try the Erbitux stuff. I know I'm very opinionated, but I can't help it. I do fully trust Dr. Farmer. She has been very open and honest with us from the beginning and has said that she would try this if we want to do it. For now, I am waiting to see what the Vectibix does.

Once again thanks for all the prayers and support. We are very comforted to know that so many of you think of us and pray for us often. Please continue the prayers and remember Carly Parker and her family in your prayers as she is in remission now-pray that she remains cancer free. God bless!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ronda,
Isn't noneventful a wonderful state these days? If this new regimen doesn't work I think you should follow your instincts and do the tried and true regimen. Mark's in good hands with you in his corner- keep up the good fight and keep the Faith!! The Golsons

Jennifer Mueller-Phillips said...

Rhonda--Andy's door looked amazing! I know he was so surprised. It was all the talk in the hallways. So kind of you. We're still praying.
Jennifer

Bernie and Kathy said...

We are continuing to pray for you all. I think you need to listen and act on your intuition - the Holy Spirit guides us through our intuition, so don't ignore it. Mark has a great advocate with you in his corner. Ronda, we are praying for you and the kids - for strength and peace in all of this. And of course we are continuing to pray for a total healing for Mark. Impossible - maybe for us, but all things are possible through Christ!
Kathy

Beverly and Curt Marshall said...

Ronda and Mark,
Our prayers are with you all. Just want you to know that we are thinking of you always and lifting you up and prayer. I am praying God's hope for you (Psalms 62:5) in this battle against this awful disease.