Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Nov 3

Hello again. We made it to the Cancer Center this morning. We were thinking that we were set as far as blood work being done and that we'd just be a go with getting infused, but we were wrong. Mark got blood work drawn again and we had to wait on results (which is fine). His magnesium was low again which required another IV magnesium infusion before the treatment could start. Dr. Farmer also wanted to meet with us to discuss the treatment again and answer any questions. We are unsure that this is the right thing to do and she is as well, but it is our last option so we must try it. I know I sounded down on it the last blog or two. It is extremely similar to Erbitux which he took with the last chemo that didn't work and they are giving this as monotherapy, but Andrea (Mark's chemo nurse) said that she has had patients who failed Erbitux as Mark had and who responded to the Vectibix and that was what I needed to hear today. It gave me the hope I needed as I need so much to feel like we are helping Mark instead of letting the cancer take over. Mark's weight was down another pound to 161 from 162 last Thursday. That was not a great sign since we skipped the chemo and he still lost weight.

Mark tolerated the infusion well. He got sleepy because of the Benadryl they give him to prevent drug reactions. He came home this afternoon and slept. His stomach has been upset some tonight and he's been hurting some. He tried to eat the best he could, but it is really hard for him.

I was in the car listening to the radio and Rascal Flatts' song My Wish came on. It is the song I dedicated to my 3 children long before Mark got sick with cancer. It made me so sad and I had to cry as part of the verse is "your dreams stay big, your worries stay small, you never have to carry more than you can hold". That was so what I wished for my children and here they are facing stage 4 colon cancer in their 37 year old father. I wish somehow I could take the worry and pain away from the children, but that is impossible. I know that this is all part of God's plan and we have to journey through these tough times and look to him for direction and guidance. It is a true test of faith as you hand it all over to the Lord. (I am still human and the tears still flow).

Thanks so much to all of you who continue to pray for Mark and offer support to us in so many ways. We appreciate you more than you know. Please continue to keep Mark in your prayers as always. Remember Carly Parker in your prayers as well. God bless!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

beacon72 said...

Thinking about and praying for your family each and every day. Extra prayers that Marks cancer will respond to the new chemo.

Unknown said...

I had no idea that Mark (and his family) were going through this until tonight. I will keep him and his family in my prayers tonight and always. Please tell him to stay strong (as if Mark would choose anything else but to be strong) and keep the faith. Big hugs from an ol' Bartlesville friend, Jana (Makovec) Merwin.

Unknown said...

Ronda, you are still one of the bravest people I know. You have to cry when you can so you can be strong for the family. The Lord will make a way, but it is SO hard for us to turn everything over to him. You keep the faith and lean on your friends and family- we are with you in this battle. Keeping you in our prayers and hoping to get good news soon! Luv ya, Golsons

Shelley said...

You are always in our prayers.