Monday, November 30, 2009

Nov 30

Hello. Mark is hanging in there. He hasn't been out of bed except to use the restroom in the last week. We did not go to the Cancer Center for treatment today. He has decided to stop treatments. Hospice has been out and visited with us. They have gotten a more intense dose of pain medication from Dr. Farmer in an attempt to make Mark more comfortable so that he doesn't experience much pain. He hasn't eaten anything to mention in the last week either. He asked for some sushi for lunch and we were all impressed. Kathy and I went out in search of sushi today. Of course, Juliana Tokyos, Shoguns and Mandarin House were all closed. We drove to South College and tried Fuji and the sushi was really good there. We spread it all out across our bed and Kathy, Brent, Matt, Mark and I all had a sushi picnic this afternoon. It was kind of fun.

Mark has been progressively getting weaker and losing weight. He is having difficulty this afternoon holding his water glass up to drink which is new.

Mark hasn't gotten up and out of bed for most of the week. He can't tolerate much noise, light or motion. Calen came back last night and sat with his dad and they talked about baseball tryouts and just visited. After Calen went to bed, Mark told me he wanted to start talking with the kids tonight to start saying his goodbyes to them. He cried when he talked about Emily because he said that she wouldn't even remember him when she grew up. It just kills me to have to go through this. I don't want to say goodbye. I don't want the kids to have to say goodbye. I'd rather scream or punch something, but of course that doesn't change things. I know that God has a reason, but I feel selfish and want to keep Mark here with me.

Please continue to pray for Mark and all of those battling this illness. Pray for the Parker family who is going back to MD Anderson this week for another round of tests. As always, God bless!!!!!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

All of you are constantly in our prayers. God is with you.

Becca said...

I am so sorry. I am praying for Dr. Bertus, you and your family.

John Jahera said...

Lifting you all up in prayer tonight.

Bernie and Kathy said...

I'm sure it's very hard to post such bad news. Thank you for keeping us informed so we know how to pray for you all. I know there are no words that can take away your pain. We will continue to lift you all up in prayer.

Beverly and Curt Marshall said...

We are thinking of you and praying for you all.

jan colbert said...

Lifting you all up in prayer, Jan

Yada said...

Ronda, I am so sorry for all of you. Emily WILL remember him, because you and the boys will keep him alive in her heart no matter what the cancer does, that is for sure.

beacon72 said...

Please know that we continue to keep you all in our prayers. Extra prayers that you all are able to feel Gods presence and that He is able to bring some peace to your hearts even at a time when things seem so senseless.Also prayers that Mark is as comfortable as possible and that his new pain regimen helps keep his pain minimal.

Unknown said...

Praying for His strength and Grace to sustain you. No words seem adequate to express our love and support- please know you are lifted up in prayers....Golsons

Sandy Daron said...

My heart just breaks for you!!! I can't imagine how very hard it is going to be for you both when Mark has to start saying his goodbyes.

I will be praying for God to fall fresh upon you all as you travel the end of Mark's journey.

You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32.7

The Lord is close to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth. ~ Psalm 145:18


Love YA!!!
C.O.L.E.'s Foundation
(Caring Openly, Loving Eternally)
www.colesfoundation.com
Email: sandy@colesfoundation.com
Sandy Daron

Wood family said...

I'm so sorry. You guys are in our prayers. Continue being strong in the Lord.

Pete said...

Mark:

You and your family are constantly in my (and Kathy's) thoughts and in my prayers. Don't worry - I know that Emily will remember you, because your family wouldn't let it be any other way.

And it's not just them she'll hear about you from. You've touched a LOT of lives, and she'll hear stories from them - family, friends, colleagues, and former students.

Death is an abomination. No two ways about it. But it's not the end - just the end of the beginning. You and your family will be together again, as we will be with Jonathan. And while it seems long, a few years ain't all that much in the face of an eternity together.

I pray for God's peace and strength for you and yours in the days to come.

stacey b said...

Duane and I are so grateful for your blogs. I know it must be so hard to post this kind of news.

All our love and prayers

Unknown said...

I do not pretend to know how this works, but I do know God reconciles everything within himself. For Mark, and for you all, this will happen. I will pray for you every day.
In Christ,
rb

Jonathan Godbey said...

Mark,

Pete is right. I certainly have stories to share. I will miss you my friend.

I am thankful that Jesus made it possible for life eternal.

Jonathan

Astounded by Katie said...

Mark & Family,

We are thinking of you and praying for your comfort.

God Bless,
Phil & Mary Wynne Forrest

greg6363 said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Mark and the kids.

Stacy said...

Thank you for all of your posts. Please know that Chris and I pray for you, Mark and the whole family daily.
Always in our thoughts-The Jackson's

Unknown said...

Remembering you in our prayers today.
The Nichols family,
Ben, Sydney & Hope

Lauren said...

We are praying hard for Mark and your family. May God give you all the strength that you need.

Joe, Lauren and Sophia Colletti