Monday, November 2, 2009

Nov 2

Hello to all. We did not go in to the Cancer Center today for Mark to get infused. We found out Friday late in the afternoon that the pharmacy didn't have enough drug to infuse Mark and would have to order more which meant a Tuesday infusion. I felt bad for Dottie who does the scheduling at our office. She had just rescheduled my patients for Monday and then I show up Monday morning telling her I need to be off Tuesday. She smiled at me and started bringing in Tuesdays patients today for me to see. She is such a gem. She has done so much for me during this time I cannot even begin to tell you.

Mark seems to be doing a little better. It was nice having the time off of chemo. He didn't have the vomiting and nausea all weekend and was actually able to eat some. He woke this morning in more pain than I've ever seen him in. He was moaning out loud and just couldn't move. I got him pain pills and we changed his pain patch early. I just laid next to him and held his hand. It is really a helpless feeling. I eventually had to leave for work and his parents stayed with him. I checked on him at lunch and he was much better. It is so hard trying to work and having Mark be so sick. It just tears me up.

Mark wasn't feeling well enough for Trick-or-Treat. He stayed home and didn't even get up to hand out candy. I took Emily out who dressed up as Cinderella. She was so funny this year. She had a great time in the neighborhood. She got scared at a couple of haunted houses and we tried to avoid the scary stuff. Colton changed his mind about his costume at the last minute and dressed in his Slammers baseball uniform and went out with a bunch of his friends. Calen was too old to go out for candy, so he stayed behind and handed out candy. He's such a sweetie. I took a lot of pictures and put them on my facebook page.

I talked with both the boys about Mark's previous chemo regimen not working and that we were switching to something new. I was also honest in telling them that this was the last thing approved to treat dad's cancer. They were both quiet and didn't say much. I think they understand the situation. Emily will be harder to talk with. All she's ever known is her dad being sick. She sits and makes him get well cards all the time. She is really sweet.

We leave for the Cancer Center in the morning. Pray that Mark's cancer will respond to the Vectibix. We could really use some good news. Remember Carly Parker in your prayers as well. God bless!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay tough and keep believing. Mark is blessed to have you fighting with him hand-in-hand. We will let the doctors do there job and keep praying so God can provide the miracle.
--The Searcy's

Unknown said...

Ronda, We'll keep you, Mark, and the kids in our thoughts while we hope for the new drug to work.
The Caudills

Unknown said...

"Hear my cry, O God;
Attend to my prayer.
From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For You have been a shelter for me,
A strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
I will trust in the shelter of Your wings." Psalms 61:1-4

Believing and knowing that today and every day the Bertus family is in the shelter of HIS wings. Continue praying for each and every one of you.
The Nichols Family
Ben, Sydney & Hope

Unknown said...

Ronda,
Know that all of you are being held up in prayers. Hopefully you feel that strength these days!! Mark has such a rock- you are so strong and amazing. Surely the Lord has something good in store. You are an inspiration! I know Mark is better and stronger because of your faith and strength and knowledge. Please know many are keeping you in prayers and are always just a call away if you need ANYTHING!! Loving thoughts...Golsons