Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dec 23

Hello to everyone. I must say Thank You to whoever had the yard decorated with signs for Mark's birthday. It was great!!! Mark couldn't get up to see it, but Brent went out and took pictures of it and we showed them to Mark and he smiled. It was great and so thoughtful, so thank you!!!!

Today was Kathy's birthday. James the Elf was busy decorating again. He has been busy with decorating this month. Kathy had a bright and colorful glitter hat to wear today and we had a sugar free chocolate cake. We got her a ring with Mark's birthstone in it. I think she really liked it. She isn't really one for jewelry, but we thought she might wear this, so we'll see. The kids were excited to present it to her and of course, they had the "talking" card. Those are a must in our house.

Mark slept most of today and hasn't been feeling very well. He is more jaundiced and you can really start to see the yellow in his skin and eyes. He was vomiting some this morning, but luckily no more of that through the day. His bowels are totally blocked with tumor, so he cannot eat anything and only has sips of water. He was talking like he wanted to call hospice out tomorrow to start him on the IV pain medication instead of the oral medications. The pain seems to be getting a little worse for him. Luckily, the evening of his birthday, he had an alert time and he let me cut his hair and shave him. He had been in full beard for some time. He wanted all his hair off, so we took a 1 blade to him and he looks really different. No hair. He was alert enough to watch a movie with me as well, which was nice. He hurts too bad for me to get next to him and hug him or cuddle with him which I miss, but just spending time with him is nice.

The kids are excited about Christmas coming up. Colton and Emily were bouncing off the walls today. Wow!!!! Don't know what I'm going to do with those two if they don't settle down. Hopefully after the present high leaves, they will calm. Father Bill came over today to see Mark. He spent some time visiting with us and played bowling and tennis with Colton on the Wii. Father Bill is pretty good. I think Colton was impressed.

Many of you have asked about donating to Mark's Scholarship Fund. You can send money directly to Auburn Bank or to our home and I can take it for you. If you are out of town, the address to the bank is PO Drawer 3110 Auburn, AL 36831-3110.

Thanks again to all of those who continue to support us through this journey. Continue to pray for peace and comfort for Mark. Pray for all those fighting cancer as well. I wish everyone safe travels during the holiday season. Please have a Merry Christmas and hold on tight to those you love. God bless!!!!

7 comments:

kellie said...

Hello Bertus Family,
My husband, kids and I so enjoyed seeing your beautiful heart shaped signs this afternoon. We stopped the car and said a prayer for all of you. What a wonderful gift for your husband...a scholarship in his name. Our family will be sending a check off to you. Please tell Emily, Meghan says happy belated birthday to her. Tell her Meghan misses seeing her at church. You are in our prayers now and always..God Bless all of you. Marty, Kellie, Thomas and Meghan Roach

John and Kathy Mitchell said...

May GOD bless you, Ronda. Please call us ANYTIME if you need ANYTHING. We know exactly what you are going through. Brings back so many memories of when my father had terminal cancer. Please call us day or night. Our numbers are: John cell 744-8313, my cell 744-8312, and home 742-0630
I mean it...ANYTIME.

You all have been through so much. I can remember sitting in the "chemo room" with you two as Mark and I had our chemo treatments together. He always sat in "his spot" and I sat in mine. Funny how patients pick a part of the BIG room to sit in for each treatment.

May GOD bless you during this Holy Season. I will pray for Mark's comfort.

I mean it---call us if you need anthing.

Love, Kathy Mitchell

Sheila Phelps said...

Merry Christmas to everyone.

When my sister was sick she found peace in this scripture.

My peace I five unto you

My peace I leave with you

I will be with you and I will make my face to shine upon you and show you the way.

For I am your God today and always.

I hope you find comfort also in this.
My prayers are for Mark and your family to be blessed tomorrow. I pray your day to be a good day.

Sincerely,
Sheila Phelps

Sheila Phelps said...

Sorry I just read my comment and realize the first line should say My peace I give unto you.

Sheila Phelps

Unknown said...

Ronda,
Since James the Elf decorates so well, I was wondering if he does cleaning also. :)
Seriously, your experiences during this fight are amazing. Your family has done an unbelievable job of keeping life "normal" for the children. Such a close family!
You and yours are always in our thoughts and prayers. You have touched so many people in so many ways. The scholarship is a perfect idea and a great way to continue Mark's teaching legacy. I can't tell you how many people have mentioned Mark's help and encouragement during tough academic times. God Bless You!!! lOVE, Chris, Sherry, & Clay Golson

beacon72 said...

Thinking about and praying for your family this Christmas Eve. Ronda you are an amazing woman with your ability to juggle so many things so well. I cannot even begin to imagine the heartache you must feel yet you keep going for your family. Again, special prayers for Mark to find peace and comfort-and for you and your chilgren to feel Gods presence amongst you. Merry Christmas and God Bless-Kathi

Beverly and Curt Marshall said...

Merry Christmas to all the Bertus family. God bless you all. You are in our prayers today especially.