Monday, December 21, 2009

Dec 21-Mark's 38th birthday

Hello everyone and Happy Birthday Mark. Today is Mark's 38th birthday. It certainly is not the celebrations of the past, but we are trying to celebrate in our own way. I think our dear friend Andy had the best gift of all for Mark. He set up a scholarship fund for Mark with Mark's name on it to go to a deserving Auburn student. What a wonderful birthday present and great honor!!!!! It is a great way to celebrate Mark's birthday, life, and love for Auburn University. Julie Reese sent over a HUGE card with many signatures and birthday wishes from the college of business. Mark was alert enough this morning to read it and I put it up in the room so he can look at it. I decorated the bedroom with a few birthday signs. He can't eat, so no cake or anything.

Karen, I got your email and it made me remember Mark's last birthday. What a great time that was and how different things were then. We went out for Mark's last birthday to Juliana Tokyo's with some dear friends and had dinner and drinks and a wonderful time. It doesn't seem like it was a year ago. How things change in a year!!!! I really do miss that.

Emily made Mark a picture this morning and each of the kids got a card for Mark and they found one of Mark's favorite movies to give him today. We will do that later this evening. The boys both spent the night with friends and haven't been home yet. Kathy, Brent and I all are contributing money to the Mark Bertus Scholarship Fund at Auburn Bank as Mark's birthday gift. I figure that there isn't really much we can get him at this point, so what a better gift and I am so glad Andy thought of it.

Thanks for all the sweet messages on the blog. There are so many of you who read this it sometimes amazes me. As always, continue to pray for Mark and all those fighting cancer. Please hold tight to those you love this holiday season. God bless!!!

15 comments:

Jonathan Godbey said...

Do we contact Auburn Bank to contribute?

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great gift from Andy. Mark has touched the lives of so many students. I am so glad his name will be on a scholarship. Mark was always working to make his class better although he got teaching awards all the time. Mark is such a gifted teacher and inspires his students. We miss him so much!

Jennifer Mueller-Phillips said...

What a wonderful gift from Andy that so many who love Mark can take part in. You are all in my thoughts and prayers today.

Anonymous said...

Shelley and I will join you and others with a contribution to the Mark Bertus Scholarship fund. His name definitely deserves to be associated with a scholarship at Auburn University. A hour does not go by that I do not think about Mark, you, Calen, Colton and Emily. I miss his constant sarcasm (at least I can now wear pink and purple around the office without incident). The third floor just isn't the same with Mark. He is truly missed. Happy Birthday, big guy.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Mark! A day does not go by that we do not you of you all. I wish you were not having to go through this, but I do know that in all things, trust God. He has a plan and will never forsake you. I will say that through your difficult journey, I am coming to many realizations. Life is short, life is not always what we expect, live each day to the fullest, cherish your family, laugh as much as possible, and love all the time.

Unknown said...

We love your family and hope that you will have a very peaceful Christmas. Please know that we would love to have the kids over if ever you or they need some time.
You are in our constant thoughts and prayers.

Deborah Pegues said...

You, Mark and the children have been in our prayers everyday. Your blogs have brought inspiration, strength and the blessings of God's love each day. Our family will be heading in the morning to Auburn Bank to make a donation to The Mark Bertus Scholarship. My younger sister [who was 11 at the time], my brother and I gained great strength from such a scholarship that was set up for our own father a few years back. What a great gift! Please know so many people are praying for you hourly.

Sarah70 said...

Happy Birthday Mark. Im so sorry that you are having to see your husband so sick. My heart goes out to you, Mark and the kids. Continuing the prayers. God bless you all.
Love, Sarah

Tina said...

Mark, Our birthday wishes go out to you today. Hope it was a joyful one with family around. We are praying for you everyday.Please let Mark know we love him an are always thinking and praying for him. Love, Tim, Tina

A Time To Remeber said...

Happy birthday Mark... I have been following and checking up on him daily to see how he is doing.. my prayers are always with him and you.. YOU are an Amazing Mom and Wife..

Beverly and Curt Marshall said...

So glad to hear about the scholarship fund. We are thankful for a way to show our appreciation to Mark for all he means to our college and the students at Auburn. With such a gift of teaching this is a neat way to pay tribute to him. We continue to pray for Mark and all of you.

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday, Mark! The scholarship fund - what a wonderful way to honor you on your birthday. Just perfect.

Ronda, your posts are so heartfelt and honest, and inspiring. I have been so moved by your unwavering faith throughout this horrendous trial.

One more thing I wanted to share... My sister died when I had just turned 5. Though she was much older than me and in college during the last year of her life, I have many memories of her. You posted once that Mark worries about Emily remembering him - I assure you she will. She will carry wonderful memories of him throughout her life, and she has so many people who love him to help her hold on to anything she starts to forget.

May God be with you all. You are in my daily prayers. With love, Amee

gary said...

Dear Mark,
I have read all the comments on the blog over the years and marvel at how many lives you (and Rhonda with the blog) have touched.

Happy birthday Mark! I think about you often.

Cheers,
Gary

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!! Remembering you quite often as the best professor in Auburn :) I find it easiest to explain most concepts to others in your terms. If i ever go back for my PhD, i hope i'm half as good of a teacher as you.

I'm following this blog to check on you. I would definitely contribute to that fund. Best wishes for you and your family!

leigh said...

I’d like to echo Renata’s comment…the best professor in Auburn (no offense to all of you other Auburn professors reading this!). I had the privilege of having Mark one semester while I was in grad school. Hands down it was one of the best courses I ever took. Even though it was at 8AM (gasp!) on Tuesdays and Thursdays, day in and day out I was inspired and challenged by Mark’s lectures. His passion for the material he was teaching was contagious. He has a true gift for teaching and has reached more people at Auburn than he’ll ever know. There is no better way to honor this than through a scholarship fund.

Rhonda, although I’m not sure I ever met you while I was getting my MBA, as much as Mark talked about you in class and through this blog I feel like I know you. Your strength and courage through all of this has been a real inspiration. I pray constantly for you and your family. I wish nothing but the best for you all during this Holiday season.

Take care – Leigh Lovelady