Friday, December 18, 2009

Dec 18

Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. The days fly by. Mark continues to struggle, but is hanging in there. His biggest hurdle besides pain control has been eating. We can't get calories into him and he has lost SO MUCH WEIGHT. He eats virtually nothing day in and day out. His spine protrudes in his back and he has virtually no fat left. Last night he woke me and said his abdomen was "as hard as a rock" and he was a little uncomfortable. That resolved somewhat through the night, but returned this morning and his ostomy has stopped producing any output which signals that his intestines are blocked. His abdomen is very distended today and firm. He feels worse when he drinks fluids. The hospice nurse, Julia, got orders for something for Mark to try, but so far it hasn't helped. I don't know that there will be much that they can do if he is obstructed since the cancer is everywhere in his abdomen. It is just hard seeing him like this. He has been sleeping most of the day and looks comfortable, so that is good. Julia offered him an IV drip, but so far he has declined this.

Eugenie, Mark's sister, left today to go to the airport. She is flying home to Texas to spend some time with the kids and prepare for their family's Christmas. Brent took her to the airport this morning.

Today was the kids' last day of school and they are excited for the break. I went to Colton's program at Cary Woods today and it was sweet. The kids all did so well. I somehow have to get Christmas shopping done and Emily's birthday is Dec 20th, so that will be here Sunday. Mark's birthday is Monday the 21st. Dottie, our angel of a receptionist at work, arranged for me to be off on Monday for Mark's birthday. Of course, Dr. Adams is also an angel for agreeing to see my patients as he was scheduled to be off and is now coming in to see my patients. It was so wonderful of them to do that for me. They are such wonderful people at The Orthopaedic Clinic!!!!! The entire office has done so much for me and my family.

Thanks to all of you who have written such sweet letters and emails. I have given them to Mark or read them to Mark during his awake and alert periods. He has smiled enjoyed them all. Many of them have brought me to tears (good ones-bitter sweet ones). Our dear friend Andy has been over here nearly every day spending it with Mark and our family, he has practically become one of us. Even when Mark doesn't feel like visiting, Andy is here, just for support. There will never be enough words to thank Andy for all he's given us in just being our friend through this.

Please continue to pray for Mark. Remember all those fighting cancer as well. Please remember the Parker family, the family of Laura Brown who recently lost her young life to ovarian cancer, and the family of Bennie Pierce who lost his young life to renal cancer in your prayers. God bless!!!!

2 comments:

Sheila Phelps said...

Hi
Was really worry when I did not see your blog. I look for it every day. I feel so far away.

My prayers are every day. I see Thad all the time,and he really keeps me thinking about you all, when I see him.

Those were the good days for me.
You all was such a joy in my life.
I never knew what Mark or MAtt would say. I was sure one of them would say dam or drop a few choice words.

I am just sorry I have not got to see you all or the kids. I would love a picture of you guys.

God Bless Sheila Phelps

Yada said...

Kevin and I watched "Christmas Vacation" the other night and got laughing remembering how Colton ate some of the jello/catfood mold. It was fun teasing Mark about that for awhile.

I hate this for your family, so much.